09 March 2011

Updates

Alright, I know I've been gone forevvvver. Things have been crazy! But a few wedding-related stress break-downs later, and I'm back.

I thought I'd quickly update The Budget tab with some of the things I've been working on in the past few weeks. And at this rate, it doesn't look like we'll stay on budget, but more on that later.

Mason Jars (or, brotherhood jars, as I like to call them)


{}


To keep the very long story short, Kmart screwed me out of $35 and several trips in the opposite direction of home, from work. I'm waiting for four more boxes of 12 mason jars to arrive. And check out the cost. Not cool, considering these are just. for. drinking.

Total Cost: $105


Food
We've decided on barbecue from Adam's Ribs. We delegated the research for good, cheap local barbecue to my stepmom, who kindly set up our contract. Actually, there is no contract, but we're "on the books" for June 11th. Makes me a bit nervous. But I'm excited for some pulled pork.

Included in the price is a server for two hours who will man the hot plates. It makes me a bit uncomfortable to have "staff", but the relief of knowing that the buns will be stocked will be nice.


Total cost: According to a guest list of 95, $1,050. I'm expecting this to drop by about $100 once the RSVPs start rolling in.



Dessert
I'm not a cake person (unless it's ice cream cake, which isn't very practical for a Maryland June wedding), but J and I both huge donut people, so we've decided to go with donut holes for our dessert. R and Y will tell you they painstakingly made 250 little cupcake flags by hand for the donuts, but don't give them too much sympathy!

Total cost: $80 for the donuts and approximately $15 in supplies for the donut flags


Venue
As I've spiritedly mentioned, we're having our wedding at our house. Though we have some pretty good tree coverage in our backyard, J says it's not enough to fend off rain. Me, the eternal pessimist, is surprisingly optimistic. I see the tree coverage creating a nice canopy effect and shielding our 95 guests from drizzle. But I suppose if we have a downpour, we'll need some real coverage.

Enter Top Hat Party Rentals. They'll provide and erect* a 30' x 20' tent to cover the tables as well as a 20' x 10' tent for our food, gifts table, guest book table, etc. We're actually thinking of adding another 20' x 10' table to our contract, just to be safe, but we need to measure to make sure we have room.

We're also getting 13 8' tables for seating and to designate as some of the tables just mentioned. We've ordered linens for the tables and 95 chairs. We're also considering adding three or four cocktail tables so that guests don't feel obligated to sit at the "main tables" the whole time.

We opted not to have a dance floor because we won't be having alcohol, and, let's face it, people probably won't dance. If they want to - and for the "first dances" we'll probably do (makes me cringe just thinking about it), we have enough flat grass area to accommodate.

Total cost: $325 for the big tent, $175 for the smaller tent, $1.50 per (cheap) chair, $10 per linen, plus delivery and taxes = about $981


Wardrobe
In the past few weeks I've found my wedding shoes (flats from DSW, though not from the sale aisle *gasp*!) and we found and purchased J's suit. He'll look dapper. Mmmm.

We're still working on choosing his shoes, his shirt, and his tie (probably something floral, maybe from etsy?).

I don't think I've blogged about it yet, but my dress is $742, with tax. I am waiting for it to arrive to determine the alterations cost, so I'll add that later.

Total cost: $55 for the shoes, $425 for the suit, $40 for suit alterations, $742 for wedding dress with tax
I'd include a photograph of the shoes but I can't seem to find them right now on DSW's site

And though I paid for my bridal shower dress out of a separate budget, I thought you might want to see it (by etsian kayemkay):

{}
$44, with shipping


Tealights
Because of a slight mix-up at the Hobby Lobby cash register and my perseverence for only purchasing things on sale, I have bought 100 tealight holders and 200 tealights to litter across our long, picnic-like tables. It took three trips, but I got 'em!

Total cost: $25 for the tealight holders, $12 for the candles

That's all I have time to update about now! Gotta go bang out some bunting and work on the insert for our invitation.

*Ha.

No comments: