15 April 2011

Vintage Fabrics

Over the past three months, I've gathered a huge supply of vintage bedsheets. With our wedding colors/theme being vintage florals, I've snatched up all that I could on my many trips to the thrift store - on half-off days, of course. My first project was handmade napkins. Those obviously took a lot of fabric as my mom and I made about 100, and each napkin is roughly 16" square, unfolded. The next project on the list was my bunting. I plan to string it along anywhere it'll go. It'll also act as the edge of our "pews" to create a sort of aisle, but that won't take too much. And I plan to string it along the top of our barn (what I call our three-shed shed as well. Then I moved on to the alter chandelier and decor. My bffs helped cut the strips and tie them onto my dowel rod for the alter and onto some strips of yarn (to later be strung along our chain link fence to pretty it up a bit).

{}


That took quite a bit of fabric as well. The last major fabric-related project on the list was my table runners. I was going to make them double-sided but then decided that, due to the length of our three guest tables (32' - four 8' banquet tables put together) and my stash of unmatched sheet sets, I just wouldn't have enough. Now that I'm making the runners single-sided, I'm going to have gobs of fabric left over.


What's a girl to do? Well immediately my mind goes here:


Okay, I know - horrible picture. But there's something about aprons that makes me just want to, well, make them! And with all of these beautiful vintage fabrics sitting around me, I want to throw my wedding to-do list away and get crackin!


I'm even thinking of starting to sell fat quarters in my etsy shop of these fabrics because they're so fun to collect.


Maybe one of these days, too, I'll actually attempt a skirt with a zipper out of some of these. My biggest obstacle, though? The lining. These fabrics are way too thin to get away with no lining, and adding lining is just so much work. Plus, getting the full skirt just right has always been a challenge for me. Maybe when the wedding's done and I'm going through planning withdrawal I can get going on developing a pattern. So exciting!

No comments: